Welcome to Pure86.com! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Andy Cap Cincinnati Red BRZ journal

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Re: Andy Cap Cincinnati Red BRZ journal

was the Subaru quote of painted and mounted.... a painted bumper from the factory or a primed one locally painted?

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JimLill View Post
    was the Subaru quote of painted and mounted.... a painted bumper from the factory or a primed one locally painted?
    The bumper ordered by the Subaru dealership body shop was somewhere around $250 unpainted, and the total was $630 total for the bumper, being painted locally and installed.

The metal bumper under the bumper body panel was another ~$250 for a primed part that also has to be painted locally.

I should be picking up my BRZ in a few hours.
    "But once again we must turn to the Baby Jesus who once said, 'He who shall be last shall be sideways and smiling.'"
    - Jeremy Clarkson on the Toyota GT86 / Subaru BRZ

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Your RED BRZ is looking Awesome! Red is rare on the road and very eye catching too! Nice pics!
    "Once you go Subaru, you don't go back!"
    BRZgirl Subaru BRZ Silver Limited AT

Facebook Page: BRZ & FR-S Girls

Current Builds:
    Exhaust: Milltek Sport
    Stereo upgrade: OEM Audio+
    Wheels/Tires: Speedline & Continental
    Swaybars: Whiteline
    Future Builds:
    Suspension: Mann Engineering Coilovers
    Brakes:
    Brembo

4. The Following User Likes This Post:

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I swear there is no respect anymore. The Cincinnati Metro bus service recently made available passes so I don't have to keep exact change to get to the office. I can drive to a park and ride location close by and have 30 to 45 minutes of free time on the bus where I don't have to worry about rush hour traffic, wear and tear on my BRZ (it's my daily driver), or gas mileage. Not to mention all the pits that have developed on my hood from thrown pebbles on the highway. The first two days, I parked my car in such a way that I approached it from drivers side, but the third day, as I walked up to it approaching the passenger side, I saw a white mark on the passenger door. I figured at first that it was bird poop, but as I got closer, I saw that it was scratches and a dent. My wife swears she didn't see it that morning on the third day and the real kicker is I parked it well away from any other cars where there were plenty of spaces to park. It's also in a kinda strange location almost like it was deliberate.

Name:  photo.JPG
Views: 1026
Size:  407.2 KB

Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 1034
Size:  530.1 KB

The pictures above are from a few days after the discovery and I had rubbed off most of the white scratches. The dent was deep enough that the body shop said they couldn't pop it out easily, but had to disassemble the door to get it out, then repaint and blend the finish. All told, it's going to cost $500 to fix.

Also another annoyance i forgot to mention, after picking up the car last month for having the bumper replace from someone rear ending me on the highway, I scrapped the rear rim on a curb leaving the body shop. I found a scion rim for $190 shipped that will be replacing my scrapped up rear wheel.

On a positive note, I got my windows tinted and they look very nice. Pictures of the tint will be posted soon once I get my car back and can take them.
    "But once again we must turn to the Baby Jesus who once said, 'He who shall be last shall be sideways and smiling.'"

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

So my car is still in the shop after a week. I took it in to the dealer body shop last Monday for the dent and they said it would take 3 days. On Wednesday, I was told they are having an issue with the auto feature of the window. Turns out there is a bulletin or recall in regards to the drivers side switch that can cause the issue so after messing with it Wednesday night, and Thursday, they made that discovery and ordered the part which is supposed to arrive today.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

And to top it all off, the rim I ordered on eBay looks almost as bad as the one I'm intending to replace. The eBay store had two posts for rims to chose from both with entirely different pictures showing details. I ordered one that looked in good shape, but they sent me the one from the second listing that showed some nicks and discolorations even on the pictures. And it's even worse looking in person. Now I'm fighting with them to send me the correct rim that I purchased.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

So now it's been a week and a half and the window issue is still not fixed. The switch on the drivers side door was replaced which caused the drivers side window to need it's timing set as well. Luckily the drivers side was able to be configured properly, but it had no effect on the passenger side window. The dealership was able to plug the car into their computer systems and work with Subaru's tech-line and they now believe the motor on the passenger window needs to be replaced. Unfortunately, the motor won't be in until Thursday. Fingers crossed that the motor fixes the issue.

I was able to send the funky rim back to the eBay store so now I'm waiting for it to be delivered to them and then for them to send the correct rim. Fingers crossed again that the new rim is in decent shape.

I really miss my BRZ.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Got my car back on Thursday (8/29/13) after having it in the body shop for a week and a half (dropped off on Monday 8/19). The replaced motor fixed the issue. I shipped back the horrible looking rim and it was delivered to the sell on Thursday as well, but I haven't heard from them with any tracking info for the correct rim. I hope it comes this week, although I'll be out of town with the car so it won't matter much anyway.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Ah, and here are some pictures of the window tint I had done a couple weeks ago:

Name:  IMG_3724.jpg
Views: 3371
Size:  433.0 KB

Name:  IMG_3728.jpg
Views: 3050
Size:  459.7 KB

Name:  IMG_3730.jpg
Views: 1183
Size:  491.3 KB

Name:  IMG_3732.jpg
Views: 1027
Size:  603.6 KB

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Figured I would post my last entry for this thread.

About a month ago (4/8/2016) on a wet drizzly Friday afternoon, I was driving my 2013 BRZ home from work. I only made it less than half a mile away when a lady in a large Chevy Suburban in the opposite line decided to make a left hand turn as I was going through an intersection where I had the green light.

I was on a 4 lane road in the right lane with no cars ahead of me so I was going right around the posted 45 MPH speed limit. The right lane in my direction was full of bumper to bumper stopped cars. Someone in the left lane left a gap for the Suburban to turn and she took it without looking to see that I was coming. I barely had time to put my feet on the brake and clutch pedals and get my hand on the shift knob when BAM!

Next thing I know, I'm stopped a few feet from a Hyundai Tuscan that was waiting at the intersection of the cross road. I'm stunned and dazed for a few seconds and my chest is hurting from the seat belt and airbag. The smell of the explosive charge is still in the air and I'm trying to process the airbag that was suddenly in front of me. The people stopped in the intersection came to my window to make sure I'm all right and are making the 911 call. I turned the engine off and tried to open the door. It wouldn't open all the way, so I had to squeeze out of it. I take a quick look at my car still in disbelief. The front is crunched and there is plastic debris everywhere and coolant seeping out from under the car. Everyone is asking if I'm alright, and except for the pain in my chest, I'm fine.

I look over at the Suburban and head on over to check on everyone there. It had come to a stop in the grass at the corner of the intersection and it appeared to be stopped by a telephone pole guide wire that is touching the rear passenger wheel. The front passenger wheel is bent in a little but there doesnít seem to be too much damage to the big SUV. The suburban's driver gets out saying that she is sorry and that it's all her fault. At least she's not deigning anything.

A few minutes pass and the police finally come to the scene, which seemed to take forever especially given that the sheriff's depot is the next building to my office about half a mile from the crash. The officer opens the back of his cruiser for me to get out of the rain and gives me some forms to fill out regarding the crash. After filling out my recollection of what happened, I take some pictures of the scene while I wait for my family to pick me up.

At one point, the officer hands me a card for the Suburban driverís insurance agent. She is actually at the scene and Iím not really sure but I though the officer said the insurance agent was in the car with her client. The police report didnít list her as an occupant though so that was strange and maybe I miss heard and she just so happened to be at the scene when it happened. Either way, that was something you donít really hear about very often.

When the flat bed tow truck arrives, the driver is able to push the BRZ out of the way to clear the intersection, so now Iím fearing that the ladyís insurance company may want to fix the BRZ instead of totaling it. It took a week but the damage was estimated to be around $13,000 and the value of the car with 30,000 miles was set at just shy of $20,000, so it was totaled.

Finally after about 3 and half weeks, I got the check from the insurance company to put towards my next car. My wife had just had major surgery the Monday before the accident so she hasnít needed her car. Iíve been driving her 2016 Toyota Sienna with license plates that say ďN1 MOMMYĒ for the past month and Iím ready to get my own car quickly!

Iíve now got a second child so I need something a bit more practical. Plus Iíve only driven my oldest daughter and my wife in the BRZ at the same time a few times and they hated fighting over leg room. Driving with only my daughter in the back or my wife up front was fine though. Iím looking for a new Subaru WRX STI Limited so I can fit the whole family in there and still have some fun. I got to test drive a base WRX STI a couple weeks ago and that solidified my decision. Now I just need to find one that checks all the boxes in my area. This is proving difficult as the 2017 models are coming out soon and I donít want to wait 2 months for a 2017 to be shipped from Japan when the only difference from 2016 is a new headliner material.

The BRZ was my first new car where I got to pick all the options and get exactly what I wanted and Iíll always have a soft spot in my heart when I see one on the road.

Pictures coming soon, but I canít get them to load from this computer for some reason.

Thread Information