Welcome to Pure86.com! Is this your first visit?
Register

Thread: P&L Motorsports 2013 BRZ Build up!

BRZ-Club.com Official Vendor Dreamer P&L Motorsports's Avatar
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

P&L Motorsports 2013 BRZ Build up!

After a 3 month wait after pre-ordering our BRZ it finally arrived yesterday, actually 5 days early from its promised delivery date. We purchased it from at Grand Subaru in Bensenville, IL and we couldn't be happier with the experience. We opted for the premium option with the 6-speed auto, spoiler, fender flares and (gas door decal) lol.

Here is a picture of the car 20 min after it got unloaded from the truck.

Some pictures from in front of the shop

After the 6 mile calm drive from the dealership to the shop I have got to admit that the seats in this car have got to be the nicest most comfortable and supportive seats to ever come in a subaru. I decided to wait for traffic to die down in the evening before it was time to see what this BRZ has to offer on our test track outside the shop. Overall I will give this car an A++ on the handling, it has a very responsive steering system and is very tight with hardly any slop. The ride is very comfortable yet sportscar feeling and is very pleasant to drive, even at 110 mph, yes with only 13 miles on the odo its been to 110 already. No easy breakins here.LOL
    Having got the 6 speed auto I was kindoff worried about how it would shift, how well the paddle shift system would work and how responsive it was since its not a double clutch system like most new auto sports cars.Again Subaru did not disappoint us here again, under normal driving the shifts are fast but tame and soft, under power the shifts are even faster and actually pretty hard which is good for saving the clutch packs and not adding extra heat in the trans from slow shifts. The paddle shifts are mounted to the steering wheel and could be a bit bigger, but I do have big hands so maybe its just my preference. I will tell you that the coolest part about the trans is you can downshift as fast as you'd like from 6th to 1st and actually bang the revlimiter without being told no, and on the downshifts the engine actually rev matches automatically.

Now here comes the part that everyone wants to know, is it fast? Well it depends by what you mean by "fast". Fast and nimble in the corners? able to be a great autocross car? have the ability to outhandle an STI, Miata, S2000 right from the factory floor? The answer to all those questions is Yes and I think it can do it very well.
    Now if you say fast in straight line acceleration well I think maybe Dave Mirra on his 10 speed huffy might be able to keep up!:lol: It is slow! Slower than a stock wrx slow. Granted this might be because of the auto but even with a manual I don't see things getting much faster.

But lets be honest this car is not means to be a dyno/dragstrip queen, if you want that go buy a GTR or Mustand GT500. This car is meant to be driven on the road and give you that goosbump feeling of going on an onramp at 80mph or taking it to the autocross track on a sunday and taking the trophy home, but also be able to drive it to work on Monday morning with the A/C on without any worries.

Needless to say we will be doing a lot to this car over the next month or two looking at improving everything on this car it lacks, and providing the community with some great Made in the USA upgrades.

Here is the car just 8 hrs after receiving it in our R&D department ready for some upgrades.

Stay tuned for more upgrades to come.

And make sure you like us on Facebook!

https://www.facebook.com/PandLMotorSports

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Re: P&L Motorsports 2013 BRZ Build up!

Test fitting some Advans!

Start of a prototype catback exhaust.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

We got the car off the lift last night and here is what it looks like as of this morning. The preliminary exhaust prototype is also done but I cant post pics just yet! I should however have some sound clips and pic this evening.

We also received the first set of BRZ coilovers thanks to our good friends and Sponsors of our STI dragcar "KW Automotive" they are looking great!

Stay tuned for more updates!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Update: The BRZ got a workout this weekend. With just 200 miles on the clock, this past Friday I decided to join a couple of my customers at Autobahn country club for the SCCA driving event there. With my past racing experience I was able to go into the advanced group and really open the car up. The BRZ is such a pleasure to drive on the track and is really a whole different animal then on the street. Its a very well balanced and neutral feeling car, a little more body roll then expected but for the stock suspension it was actually very good.
    After 3 sessions of wideopen testing I did start to experience quite a lot of brake fade and started to boil the fluid to the point where braking was almost not existent. Overall the car gets a 9 out of 10 from me.

Then on Monday with 350 miles on the BRZ I took it to Great Lakes dragway to test the car on the 1/4 mile, here is where I really didn't have my hopes up to much (since the BRZ is not a straight away car but more a Autocross/ Roadrace car) but I was kind off hoping for something in the 15 sec range.
    Well the best out of two runs was a 16.5 at 86 mph.

Needless to say a little disapointing but we all know thats not what the car is built for. Below is a video of the 16.5 run with our new P&L BRZ catback Exhaust.

Paul@ P&L

Please make sure to like us on face book for more updates!
    Last edited by P&L Motorsports; 06-06-2012 at 05:34 PM.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The BRZ has a lot of new R&D P&L parts on it since our last update.

Some preliminary pictures of our P&L BRZ catback exhaust. This is type 1 of the 3 seperate style types we will be producing. Hope you guys like it!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Good to have you on board...the exhaust is beautiful. I had contacted Akrapovic to get in on this but they said NO. What is the weight difference between the two exhausts. I know many on this forum are very interested in removing weight from the car.

As far as drag times on a 200 mile car, would't it be better to wait till the engine "settles in" and change the "break in" oil for some good ole Royal Purple or some other high grade oil? Your mileage will be better too, not that you are measuring that too. How big are those tire/wheels you tested with? Again it is GREAT to have you on board and I am going to Facebook NOW

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey guys thanks for all the comments. We have some big things coming in the next couple of weeks for the BRZ/FRS.

Here are some pictures of the P&L Motorsports stainless steel brake lines installed. I cant post any more info or pricing, but if you check our this sites brake classified section you will find more info there.

Name:  sslineinstall1.jpg
Views: 1190
Size:  260.8 KB

Name:  sslinesinstall.jpg
Views: 1246
Size:  324.5 KB

We also put on some STI Brembo calipers and DBA 4000 rotors with hawk HT-10 (for track use). While we were in there we also upgraded the wheel studs to some ARP extended units.

Name:  bbk2.jpg
Views: 2025
Size:  280.1 KB

Name:  bbk3.jpg
Views: 1130
Size:  421.7 KB

Name:  bbk6.jpg
Views: 1105
Size:  220.2 KB

Name:  bbk7.jpg
Views: 1045
Size:  155.3 KB

Name:  bbkoncar_wheel.jpg
Views: 1353
Size:  287.3 KB

Boxer RWD Zenith Legend onbooSTi's Avatar
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Welcome to the club P&L!

Your BRZ is looking great! It's funny how it did the 1/4 mile at 86 mph...

What kind of HP gains are you getting from the exhaust? Weight savings?

Did you mention the Advan specs?

The break lines are awesome and at a great price!

What was the reason you upgraded the wheel studs?
    "Proud of Boxer"

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Probably they upgraded the wheel studs to add an adapter for 5X114 and then with the new wheels in place, LOTS of POWER

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

We've been very busy, and too quiet on this forum. We have posted some new threads for all the parts we have available for the 86 line.
    http://pure86.com/forums/forumdispla...nce-and-Tuning

-Dylan@P&L

Thread Information